Monday, June 13, 2011

May 15, 2011 "INSPIRATIONS"

INSPIRATIONS - 
1992 Finalist for the National Book Award - Winner of the Ferro Grumley prize - Movie Adaptations  (X2) -  Translations into a dozen-plus languages - NY Times Notable Book of the Year, Lillian Smith prize finalist - ALA prize-winner (X2) - Best American Short Stories 2003 winner - Best New Stories from the South 2003 winner - Professor and Writer in Residence Davidson College, NC 2009 -  Emory University (GA) Center for Humanistic Inquiry's Distinguished Visiting Professor 2007 - Famosa in residence Macondo, San Antonio, TX  2007 - Writer in Residence Columbia College Chicago, IL 2006 - Recipient of the 2007 Robert Penn Warren Award for Fiction - Board Member of the Fellowship of Southern Writers  . . .
Are you inspired yet?  I was first introduced to Dorothy Allison in 2008. Stupid me, I had no idea what kind of talent I was having a conversation with.  Ms. Allison describes herself as a "working-class story teller," and recently upon seeing her again at the Arts and Education Council Conference on Southern Literature in Chattanooga, TN when I expressed my respect for her talents, she looked me squarely in the face and said, "Anne, I'd write menus for you if it made you happy!"  Ms. Allison knows how to write, cultivate readers and maintain a following. As writers, we're often told to study the "Masters."  Thank you, Dorothy, for being a "Master." 
For more visit:dorothyallison.net